Community Play for the 125th Anniversary of Waterlow Park - September 2016

Val staged a community play, From Estate to Park for the 125th Anniversary of Waterlow Park.


Photo from left to right, Richard Roques (Sir John Lubbock,
Chairman of the London County Council), Val Doulton,
Derek Howard (Sir Sydney Waterlow). Behind the group the
statue of Sir Sydney Waterlow in the park, the inscription on the statue
in the words of Sir Sydney is 'A garden for the gardenless'.

Photo from left to right Dermot Taylor (sculptor Frank Taubman)
with Val in front of Frank Taubman's statue of Sir Sydney.
Dermot studied and acted in Val's Adult Education
Shakespeare group for many years.

Patricia Walby, who organised the whole celebration day sent Val the following words of appreciation for the staging of From Estate to Park:

“The Live Literature Company proved hugely supportive during the 125th anniversary of our local park — Waterlow Park -- in North London.  When one of the six local schools we were working with had to absent themselves at the last minute from one of six plays mapping the history of the park -- we contacted Valerie Doulton in desperation. She and her company, which for this particular play was headlined by Derek Howard, immediately came to our aid, taking over the production with professionalism, speed and enthusiasm and in so doing lifted considerable stress from the organisers.  I don’t know how she did it but I take my hat off to her that she produced 15 minutes of flawless costume drama with Derek Howard in the lead role. I have worked for many years in television drama, and I can say from considerable experience that Valerie and her team are a local treasure which I, and I know many other local people, would like to support in any way I can. In the meantime I look forward very much to seeing new productions for which I know they have plans.”